BG May 1st

News, reports, teams, comments on races, car shares.

BG May 1st

Postby Stuart P » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:38 pm

I am still planning my round on May 1st and would like to invite anyone who is interested to come along. The vague plan is clockwise, starting about 0200 on the 1st. Aiming for 22 to 23 hour pace untill the top of bowfell and them either carry on at that, push on a bit if I feel good or scrape in at 23.57 if things don't go well. Isn't that everybodys plan? I know it's coniston the same day so everyone is welcome on legs 4 & 5 who is racing. Drop me a line here or on stu@(nospam)facewest.co.uk if you would like to join us.

Cheers

Stu
Stuart P

Re: BG May 1st

Postby Stuart P » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:44 pm

Sorry it's so last minute but Brian, Nicky and I are running Leg 1 (CW) tonight starting at 21.30 in Keswick.

Anyone missing the dark days of winter and fancies coming along, give me or Nicky a call.

Stu
Stuart P

Postby Stuart P » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:06 pm

Am going up on wednesday night to run leg 5 (cw) in the dark. Will either run the hills and then try and hitch back up the road to Honister or if we have two cars, run the whole thing into Keswick. Anyone interested?

Going to stay up and then do another recce into the bit between Gt Calva and Mungrisdale Common on thursday. I am planning to direct a pretty direct line through the heather, as long as it's not too high. I tried the fence line but felt is was just too indirect to be an advantage. Thanks to Brian and Rin for their comments, any others?

For my actual round I could do with another pacer for Leg 1 otherwise Nicky will be the only pacer, any suggestions?

Legs 2 and 3 are fine but anyone further welcome

On Leg 4 I have Brian Melia and a couple of people are rumouring to come over after coniston but whether they are in time for the start of that leg is not assured. So another Leg 4 runner would be good?

Leg 5 is covered.

The last thing is the start time. I was going to start at 0200 so could do Halls fell ridge in the light, however I came down it the other night in the dark and it was fine. I have a good light and since you only look 4 feet in front of you the whole time, I didn't think I would be any quicker in daylight.
If that's the case then starting at 0000 would move daybreak to the climb up Clough Head but give me some extra light on the final 3 hills, which could be an advantage. Any comments?

Thanks
Stuart P

Postby Stuart P » Tue May 04, 2010 11:22 am

Got my round done this weekend, 21 hours.

Really pleased with how it all went, and would like to say a massive thank you to everyone who turned out to help. Over 20 people gave up big chunks of time (and in Neil's case a chunk of his chin!) to get me round and I am very grateful. I could not have done it without them.

Nicky's round is now just under 3 weeks away (she did Leg 1 and 5 for me and was there at the end of leg 2!). I am sure many of the same faces will be there and it will go just as well.

Thanks Everyone.
Stuart P

Postby Stuart P » Tue May 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Stuart P

Return to Racing