ILKLEY HARRIERS on Facebook
If you are a Facebook user, go straight to the Ilkley Harriers Facebook Group by clicking
- Why is Ilkley Harriers, the Club, on Facebook?
- Because many of our members use Facebook and because there was demand for us to be on it.
It's a place to chat, share photos, and pass on information.
The Ilkley Harriers Facebook Group is 'open' so it is also promotes the Club and provides information on the Club for other Facebook users.
- Is it official?
- The idea was approved by the Committee in May 2011, and the Facebook Group set up.
- Who can contribute?
- Only members of the Facebook group may add content.
- Who can join the Group?
- As yet we have not seen a need to restrict membership to Ilkley Harriers: any Facebook user may apply for membership.
- How do I get started?
- You need to be a Facebook user to see or do anything on Facebook. Matthew has compiled some useful notes on getting started on
Once you are a Facebook user you can search for the Ilkley Harriers Group using the info in those notes or click
The next step is to apply to become a member using the link on the Ilkley Harriers Group page (see notes).
- What shall I write?
- Facebook is a place for chat and banter, but remember that ANY Facebook user can read what's there so please don't write anything on our Group page that could reflect badly on Ilkley Harriers. Let's have lots of friendly chat, constructive feedback on races and events, photos, fun links, etc. Facebook stuff!
- Is it private?
- No. Any Facebook user could read what is posted on the Ilkley Harriers Facebook page as it is an 'open group'.
We recommend that you do not post personal details, phone numbers, which flowerpot you keep the front door key under, etc. etc. on the Facebook group page.
- Are there any rules?
- Normal web etiquette applies: do not say something on Facebook that you wouldn't
say directly to a fellow Ilkley Harrier. We want to minimise admin, policing,
and hassle! Anyone who causes undue upset and work may be removed
from the Group (membership of the Group is not a right of Ilkley Harriers
- Can I promote my favorite shop, or recommend any other purchase or service?
- No, let's keep this commerce-free. There is a 'Commercial Zone' forum on the Ilkley Harriers Forums and anything of a commercial nature must go there (and only there).
- Does this mean the Ilkley Harriers forums are 'dead'?
- There's still a place for the Forums. Not all Ilkley Harriers are Facebook users or want to be, and only Facebook users can see stuff on Facebook. Also, Facebook content is not very structured - it's great for recent stuff but older stuff can be harder to find.